VNC Server setup

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Mon Nov 12 20:34:34 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 11:22 -0800, Tom Spec wrote:
> I'd like to setup my Fedora 8 machine as a VNC server so I can login
> to the Gnome desktop from a Windows XP machine using RealVNC.  Does
> anyone have a simple guide for this?  For some reason I can't get it
> to work. I'm not looking for anything complicated, I just want this
> setup for ONE user (prefereably without an additional password in VNC
> if possible.)
----
login as user
open terminal application
$ vncpasswd # set user password for logging in via vnc

then su to root

$ su -
# emacs /etc/sysconfig/vncservers
# something like this...
VNCSERVERS="1:craig"
ARGS="-geometry 800x600 -depth 8 -alwaysshared "
# Season to taste

Then also in my home directory...

# cat ~/.vnc/xstartup
#!/bin/sh
#
# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
unset SESSION_MANAGER
exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
#[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
#xsetroot -solid grey
#vncconfig -iconic &
#xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
#gnome-session &

HTH

Craig