VNC Server setup

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Nov 12 22:09:37 UTC 2007

Tom Spec wrote:
> I'd like to setup my Fedora 8 machine as a VNC server so I can login to the Gnome desktop from a Windows XP machine using RealVNC.  Does anyone have a simple guide for this?  For some reason I can't get it to work. I'm not looking for anything complicated, I just want this setup for ONE user (prefereably without an additional password in VNC if possible.)

SUSE does it this way, it has some advantages over Red Hat's:
=== snip ===
# default: off
login \
#	prompt. This VNC connection has a resolution of 1024x768, 16bit depth.
service vnc1
{
	disable         = yes
	socket_type     = stream
	protocol        = tcp
	wait            = no
	user            = nobody
	server          = /usr/bin/Xvnc
	server_args     = -SecurityTypes None -inetd -once -query localhost
-geometry 1024x768 -depth 16
	type		= UNLISTED
	port		= 5901
}
# default: off
login \
#	prompt. This VNC connection has a resolution of 1280x1024, 16bit depth.
service vnc2
{
	type		= UNLISTED
	port		= 5902
	socket_type	= stream
	protocol	= tcp
	wait		= no
	user		= nobody
	server		= /usr/bin/Xvnc
	server_args	= -SecurityTypes None -inetd -once -query localhost
-geometry 1280x1024 -depth 16
	disable		= yes
}
# default: off
login \
#	prompt. This VNC connection has a resolution of 1600x1200, 16bit depth.
service vnc3
{
	type		= UNLISTED
	port		= 5903
	socket_type	= stream
	protocol	= tcp
	wait		= no
	user		= nobody
	server		= /usr/bin/Xvnc
	server_args	= -SecurityTypes None -inetd -once -query localhost
-geometry 1600x1200 -depth 16
	disable		= yes
}
# default: off
#	server running on port 5901, (vnc port 1).
service vnchttpd1
{
	disable         = yes
	socket_type     = stream
	protocol        = tcp
	wait            = no
	user            = nobody
	server          = /usr/bin/vnc_inetd_httpd
	server_args     = 1024 768 5901
	type		= UNLISTED
	port		= 5801
}
# default: off
#	server running on port 5902, (vnc port 2).
service vnchttpd2
{
	type		= UNLISTED
	port		= 5802
	socket_type	= stream
	protocol	= tcp
	wait		= no
	user		= nobody
	server		= /usr/bin/vnc_inetd_httpd
	server_args	= 1280 1024 5902
	disable		= yes
}
# default: off
#	server running on port 5902, (vnc port 3).
service vnchttpd3
{
	type		= UNLISTED
	port		= 5803
	socket_type	= stream
	protocol	= tcp
	wait		= no
	user		= nobody
	server		= /usr/bin/vnc_inetd_httpd
	server_args	= 1600 1200 5903
	disable		= yes
}
=== snip ===

You might need to open ports on your firewall, whichever way you do it.

Is RealVNC available for Windows? I use tightvnc. it came on my opensuse
virtual cd.

--

Cheers
John