netstat question

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Nov 13 04:45:41 UTC 2007

zephod at cfl.rr.com wrote:

> On to my next problem. Why can't this FC6 box see any http traffic from a
> Windows Vista box on my local network when it is obviously connecting to
> various web sites? I'm using Wireshark and yes, I have opened up the
> firewall. I can see ICMP traffic and other protocols from the Windows box
> and I can see http traffic from my FC6 box.

Is your FC6 box acting as a router in your network?  Or, are both the
Windows box and FC6 connected to a switch?  If the latter, then don't expect
to see much traffic from the Windows host since a switch prevents that.  You
will a small amount of traffic from the Windows box in the form of
"broadcast" traffic.