f8: NetworkManager + runlevel 3 problem

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Tue Nov 13 13:45:12 UTC 2007

John Summerfield wrote:

>> Then you connect it by WiFi?
>
> More likely wireless in both places, different Aps and different keys.

I do this, and don't have to say ifdown.
However, I very rarely take my laptop from one site to another
without turning it off.

> Sometimes I add wire for temporaty speed.

OK, you are taking what I imagine are rather rare actions.
I can well believe that NM helps you
(though only a tiny bit, as far as I can see).

I have absolutely no objection to NM being available,
in fact I am strongly in favour of that.

But I don't think it should become a standard part of Fedora,
for reasons that I have outlined several times -
it does not work with some devices which work without NM under Fedora,
and if there is a problem with WiFi you have to work out
what NM is doing, as well as all the other bits of WiFi.

I'm pretty sure 90% of people with laptops
either use WiFi exclusively,
or else have the laptop permanently plugged into ethernet
(in other words, they are using the laptop as a desktop).

If I'm right then 90% of the effort should go
into making WiFi work as well and as simply as possible under Fedora.