Dell Dimension 490 fails to reboot

Miner, Jonathan W (CSC) (US SSA) jonathan.w.miner at baesystems.com
Wed Nov 14 14:43:43 UTC 2007

On 11/13/07, Miner, Jonathan W (CSC) (US SSA)
<jonathan.w.miner at baesystems.com> wrote:
> I just loaded F8 (32-bit) on a Dell Dimension 490.  Now the system fails to reboot.  It gets to the point where the screen says "Restarting System" and it just sits there until I power-cycle it.
>
> This system has rebooted fine with all other versions of RHEL, CentOS and Fedora.
>
> Any ideas?

Here are the exact messages:

If I type "reboot" at the command line, the system goes through the normal routine of shutting down services, then stops with the last line on the screen being "Restarting system."

If I type "halt" at the command line, the only difference is that the last line reads "System halted."

I've tried with both the 2.6.23.1-42 and -49 kernels.  This exact hardware rebooted/halted (& powered off) properly when F7 was installed. I will be trying the 64-bit version of F8 this morning.