fedora 8 boot up time

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 22:22:36 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 20:45 +0000, Jose Celestino wrote:
>
>> Remove more services?
>>

> This touches one something I was thinking about earlier:  Granted that
> it's quicker not to start things you don't need.  Is it even quicker if
> you completely remove some services, so the system doesn't even have to
> both sorting through the list to find the ones it will start, and their
> starting/stopping order?

The number of operations wasted on sorting services and checking which
ones are enabled/disabled is more than likely negligible compared to the
overall boot time.
The first rule of optimization is to work on the part that should yield
the best improvement. Between using 1 CPU (even on multi-core systems)
and taking up time with HD accesses, checking the services means pretty
much nothing.

What *would* be really nice, though, is if the boot process could
somehow read from flash drive(s) in parallel with the hard drive (in a
sort of a RAID configuration) to speed up the normally slow-as-molasses
HD reads/seeks.

You can see exactly what takes up the time on your system if you use
bootchart: http://www.bootchart.org