Failure to dd diskboot.img to pen drive

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Nov 16 20:21:59 UTC 2007

John Poelstra wrote:

> Thanks for the clear and simple write-up.  I had experimented with
> dd-ing a DVD image to a 4G USB stick and it didn't work.
>
> If the DVD ISO can be burned and booted from DVD media, why can't the
> DVD.iso be written to a USB stick booted the same way boot.iso is?
>
> IOW: dd if=/Fedora-8-i386-DVD.iso of=/dev/sdc
> where /dev/sdc is the USB stick didn't work (boot)--why is that?
>
> John

The format of a DVD image is different then the format of a hard
drive. A simplistic way to look at it is that the stuff on the DVD
image is in the wrong place when it is put on a USB or hard drive.
So your BIOS does not see it as a bootable device. Now, if you could
fool the BIOS into thinking it was a USB DVD drive instead of a USB
storage device, it might work. The DVD image does not start out with
a valid boot loader signature when treated as a floppy or hard
drive. For an optical drive, the boot signature is not in the same
place. (This is only part of the problem, but it is the first
problem encountered.)

Mikkel