No shutdown in F8/Gnome

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Nov 17 14:13:45 UTC 2007

Clodoaldo wrote:
> I installed F8 with default Gnome and there is no shutdown button or shortcut.
>
> I have already read this thread:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2007-November/msg02444.html
>
> I created the /etc/sysconfig/desktop file containing:
> DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"
>
> but still no shutdown. Should I install some package to have kdm?
> Isn't it a bug to not have a shutdown in a default Gnome install?
>
> Regards, Clodoaldo Pinto Neto

I am running GNOME and had to remove gdm from the system. (Could have
switched I guess, removing was easier). The KDE Graphical login came up
on next boot. I believe that kdm should already be installed.
The shutdown is tied to the login managers for both KDE and GNOME. I
don't know if KDE needs additional setup or configuration to get it to
work for shutdown available on the desktop. I now shut down via the kdm
GUI until GDM is fixed.

When you login, do you see the different login manager or is gdm still
being used.

Jim

--
DISCLAIMER:
Use of this advanced computing technology does not imply an endorsement