[OT] alpine, firefox and URL viewing

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sat Nov 17 21:03:16 UTC 2007

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   sorry for what is more an "alpine" question than a fedora question,
> but i recently switched my mail client from pine to alpine and, while
> it was mostly painless, the one thing that's gone south is the ability
> to just press ENTER on a URL in a message, and have that URL displayed
> by firefox (previously by opening a new tab).
>
>   i've checked the alpine config settings, and it certainly seems like
> i've got all the proper URL viewing-related settings set.  has anyone
> else done this?  suggestions?  thanks.
>
> rday

Both Pine and Alpine are part of Scientific Linux 5, and by dint of "rpm
--replacefiles" I have both here.

I generally use pine on a VC (apart from anything else, it's a terrific
final spam filter), so launching firefox isn't very important to me.

Both here were built on norob.fnal.gov so I expect by the same person (I
think it's a two-person team), so probably with the same build options.

For those who don't know, they use the same configuration file (tho I
see that my copy of alpine mistakenly looks for /usr/local/lib/pine.conf
and /usr/local/lib/pine.conf.fixed which do not exist.

You can check yours, Robert, like this:
strace -f -e trace=open -o /tmp/alpine alpine

and then
egrep pine.conf\|pinerc /tmp/alpine

using the configurations I have, pine treats text such as
http://example.com as links that I can open, and alpine does not.

Here, the effective configuration for pine is
built-in defaults
plus
/etc/pine.conf
/etc/pine.conf.fixed
plus
~/.pinetc

In contrast, the effective configuration for alpine is

built-in defaults
plus
~/.pinetc

and that's quite likely different.