Sun's JRE is broken on Fedora 8

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Nov 18 03:43:38 UTC 2007

That shouldn't surprise anyone who actually tried it -- I'm just surprised
that I don't remember anyone mention this yet. It's broken due to bug
6532373 on bugs.sun.com. Despite its given status, it's not fixed. Reading
through this rather dry bug entry, I take it that Sun has statically linked
with one X library, and dynamically linked with another. Which, in my
opinion, makes it Sun's stupid bug.

The solution is, of course, for the archives, is java-1.7.0-icedtea-devel.
Personally, I like my tea hot, Earl Gray (yes, really), but this seems to
work just fine. So far, my awful Java code seems to compile and run just
fine, on icedtea.