SELinux vs BackupPC web interface

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Nov 18 21:24:06 UTC 2007

George Avrunin wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 12:49:55 +0900 John Summerfield
> <debian at herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
>
>> I take it the script begins
>>    #!/usr/bin/sperl
>>
>> Change it to
>>    #!/usr/bin/perl
>> and see what you see.
>>

> No, it begins
>   #!/usr/bin/perl
> but it needs to run suid to access the backups.
>
> [~] 11) l -lZ /var/www/cgi-bin/BackupPC/
> -rwsr-x---  backuppc apache system_u:object_r:httpd_sys_script_exec_t:s0
> BackupPC_Admin*

I think your phrase "fix properly" meas you need to learn how to write a
local policy to allow it.

> This same script worked in FC6.

There's been some tension (to my mind at least) between Linux[1] (setuid
is ignored with scripts) and perl (stuff Linux, we're going to do
setuid scripts).

[1] I don't think Linux is alone here.

What I have done, in Debian and without selinux, where I want CGI to do
root stuff is to authorise it without passwords via sudo,

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait