Fedora 8 Wireless Networking Out-Of-The-Box

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Nov 19 00:33:46 UTC 2007

Randy Yates writes:

> Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> writes:
>
>> On Sun, 2007-11-18 at 09:40 -0500, Randy Yates wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Fred,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the info. How did you set your wireless channel?
>>>
>>> How did you know to start the NetworkManager service? Is
>>> there documentation from Redhat somewhere on this?
>>>
>>> I just tried starting the Networkmanager service and so
>>> far (after about 3 minutes) it's still "in-progress" - doesn't
>>> look promising.
>>> --
>> Assuming you have the wireless device driver losacted it is easy:
>
> Whoa. And how does one "load the wireless device driver?" Do you
> mean using ndiswrapper?

No.

> If you mean using ndiswrapper, I saw a message yesterday which
> instructed the user to remove ndiswrapper. This is a big part of
> my misunderstanding. Do we need ndiswrapper or not?

You only need ndiswrapper if the driver for your wireless chipset is not
implemented or supported by the Linux kernel.

> Is the network manager simply an easy way to switch between wired
> and wireless networks once you have your wireless driver installed

Yes.  NetworkManager makes it fairly easy to switch wireless on and off, and
switch between different wireless access points.

> (e.g., via ndiswrapper)?

Hopefully not. Generally speaking, you'll have the least amount of heartburn
if you do your homework and acquire wireless hardware that's directly
supported by the Linux kernel, and does not require the ndiswrapper hack.

>> run:
>> Run NetworkManager and NetwotkmanagerDispatcher and stop network init.d
>> scripts. Ask if you don't know how.
>
> I don't know what you mean by "stop network init.d scripts."

That means any scripts that automatically enable wireless network interfaces
at boot time. You don't want to do that, instead let NetworkManager handle
all aspects of wireless networking.

Once I've set it up on my wife's laptop, she can handle the rest all by
herself -- booting Fedora, entering the keyring passphrase, and syncing up
to my wireless AP.