Automatic login

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Mon Nov 19 15:46:04 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 05:56 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>>     This computer is in my home. Security is not a problem and I have
>> my main passwords on paper stik-ons around my monitor :-)
>>
>>     I learned to bypass the stop in bootup where you normally have to
>> give your name and password. I find the same thing works on F8. Click
>> on System -> Administration -> Login Window and give it your root
>> password and a panel comes up. Click on Security and the first item on
>> that page is what you want. Click for automatic login and choose the
>> user to log in as and your done.
>>
>>      It does make login a lot faster.
>>

> And for benefit of the uninitiated reading the above, this is an
> extremely bad thing to do by default.  It's something you might do for
> special circumstances, but not in the normal run of things.
>
> NB:  Log-in is not sped up, it still takes the same amount of time.
> You're just not being asked to authenticate.
>
> We know security is not a consideration with Karl, he's already been
> remote hacked for that attitude, quite some time ago.  And still hasn't
> resolved the issue, going by another message that he's recently posted.

    For your complete understanding I was entered by what I think was a
German via ssh and he planted some things in my computer that are a big
problem. One was when I used firefox a full screen repeating color thing
came up and the mouse and keyboard are turned off. I have now removed
all the crap he left.

    I know what happened and why. I changed my password from one very
easy to one VERY hard and have not had any trouble since. I suggest you
never use your last name as a password :-)

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User