mounting CF disks from an HP printer port

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Nov 19 18:52:29 UTC 2007

Les wrote:
> Hi, everyone,
> 	I have a problem with mounting CF disks via a printer, an HP Photosmart
> 1215 with the disk slot in the side.  It used to work.  Hald is running,
> the printer is found by CUPS, but the CF's don't mount.  I looked to see
> if I could find an error message, but didn't see one.  The printer shows
> a green LED when it recognizes the disk, and that appears.
>
> 	In the past inserting the card would bring up an icon automatically.
>
> 	I don't remember doing anything at all to get this to work before.
> Where should I look and what should I look for?
>
> Thanks,
> Les H

The messages from /var/log/messages would be helpful in trying to
solve this. It sounds like a HAL problem - maybe it is having a
problem figuring out where to mount it. I ran into that a few
updates ago, and fixed it by giving all the cards and USB drives a
label, so I don't know if they broke it again.

Mikkel