OT: Computer's electrical outlet

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Nov 19 20:42:19 UTC 2007

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 15/11/2007, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
>> Dotan Cohen wrote:

>> The things I would expect to cause problems are
>> the microwave and the refrigerator. They both tend to have fairly
>> high startup loads. This is known to cause a voltage drop. The
>> extent of the drop depends on the wiring. also, depending on the
>> type of fuse used, the spike may blow the fuse. Time delay fuses
>> handle it best, fast blow fuses handle it the worst. I suspect that
>> you have a time delay type fuse.
>
> I don't think that it's a time delay fuse because I recently did
> something stupid, and it tripped right away. I've never heard of a
> time delay fuse, but it sounds rather dangerous.
>
> Dotan Cohen

There fuses things called "Slow blow" for handling items and equipment
that uses a lot of current for a short time.  These fuses will allow a
surge current to pass before they blow but a steady state current just
over there limit will cause them to blow.  A current that is high enough
will cause the fuse to blow just as fast.

I have used "Slow Blow" when trying to find a problem that would blow a
fuse at power on.

I have never really looked at the type of fuses in a mains plug before.

--
Robin Laing