Turbo Memory

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Nov 19 22:17:29 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Claude Jones wrote:
>> The notebook was an Asus 2GS - I asked here because I figure if anyone might
>> be working on utilizing this new technology in Linux, it might be someone
>> associated with Fedora. The reference to Turbo Memory in the Asus ad led me
>> to find the same page already, that you posted above. I also downloaded the
>> PDF data sheet. Apparently, the new technology relies on a software component
>> (driver?) only available in Vista. There's nowhere any mention of making the
>> technology available in XP. It is being described as a new 'key system
>> component' on a par with ram, cpu, etc... I did try clicking on the contact
>> us button, but it leads to more and more pages, and there wasn't time in my
>> schedule to figure out which contact link would be the most appropriate.
>> Maybe I'll give it another go later...
>>
> It sounds like they are using the flash memory as swap. I have seen

Cache, not swap. Cache in drive controllers has been around since the
early 80s that I know about, just not on intellish toys. Disk
controllers on IBM mainframes were computers in their own right (rumours
abounded that used S/370-158s, at one time near top mainframes, got
reused as disk controllers), so they handled the cache.

> flash memory that was designed to plug into the motherboard USB
> header that was advertised to do the same thing in Vista. If this is
> what they are doing, then implementing it in Linux should be a
> matter of making it a swap partition/file.

USB flash is slow. Notebook drives in USB2 enclosures are faster than
USB2 flash drives.

> If you get the motherboard,see if it detects it as a USB memory
> drive. If so, and if you are not dual booting, it would be just a
> matter of creating a swap partition, (Or making the entire device
> one big swap device.) and add a fstab entry for it. You would want
> to give it a label, and use that in place of a device name. You
> could also do this with a standard "pen" drive. I am not sure about
> the life of the device, but it might be fun to try it with a flash
> drive you don't mind loosing.

It's unlikely to be seen through the USB infrastructure. I think it more
likely it's seen as "part of the drive," or maybe as a PCI{,-X} device,
a PC version if the disk controllers I mentioned above.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait