Execute a command before mounting what's in /etc/fstab - how?

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Mon Nov 19 23:32:49 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 07:59 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
> Chris G wrote:
> > I have a Freecom network disk which needs the following to be executed
> > before I can mount it using an entry in /etc/fstab :-
> >
> >     echo 0 > /proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled
> >
> > Is there any neat way I can get this command executed during the boot
> > sequence before the entries in /etc/fstab are mounted?
> >
> sysctl (/etc/sysctl.conf) might do this.

No, that only futzes with stuff under /proc/sys, not /proc/fs.

The other filesystems are mounted by line 95 in /etc/rc.d/init.d/netfs.
So, stuff that line just before it:

    echo 0 >/proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled
    action $"Mounting other filesystems: " mount -a -t
nonfs,nfs4,smbfs,cifs,ncpfs,gfs

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-        Polygon: A dead parrot (With apologies to John Cleese)      -