Font changes in Fedora 8

aa056@chebucto.ns.ca aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Tue Nov 20 17:52:00 UTC 2007

Lane Brooks <lbrooks <at> MIT.EDU> writes:

> I am still having problems getting a third party application that ran
> fine on F7 to run on F8.  It is giving me the error below.  I have been
> googling around trying to find further information and I am lost and
> uncertain as to what is legacy and what is current.
>
> - Is there any documentation on what changed with fonts between F7 and
> F8?  I cannot find anything in the release notes but I do seem to
> remember seeing something somewhere.
>
> - Is there a way to get more information from the Xserver about which
> font or color it cannot find?
>
> - When I start xfs, unix/:7100 does not appear in the font path when I
> do an "xset q".  I can manually add it with "xset +fp", but I still get
> the error.
>
> X Error of failed request:  BadName (named color or font does not exist)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  45 (X_OpenFont)
>   Serial number of failed request:  16

One application I use was configured to look for iso8859-1 encoding, but
is now working with iso8859-15 encoding, e.g.,:

-adobe-courier-bold-r-normal--12-120-75-75-m-70-iso8859-1

becomes:

-adobe-courier-bold-r-normal--12-120-75-75-m-70-iso8859-15

I didn't need to install xfs, just look in the output of xlsfonts
for lines that matched the old font configuration and modify the
configuration as needed.  The app in question gets the font from
an environment variable -- many use X resources files.