how do you force anaconda to use vesa?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Nov 21 03:49:44 UTC 2007

Jack Howarth wrote:
>    I found that when I tried to run the x86_64 Fedora 8
> installer on a machine which currently runs x86_64 Fedora 7
> that the X gui of the installer doesn't appear. I believe the
> problem is that the radeon driver is trying to drive the
> ATI Radeon X1650 Pro graphics card but only produces a black
> screen. I don't see any particular errors in the virtual console
> that anaconda launches X from.
>    Is there anyway to force anaconda to default to the vesa
> driver (which is what Fedora 7 was doing)? I tried adding
> 'vesa' to the kernel options at the beginning of the installation
> but that didn't help. I am loath to do a text installation if
> I can find some way to suppress the radeon driver for the
> install (since I will use fglrx afterwards).
>     Thanks in advance for any advice.
>                Jack

linux xdriver=vesa should do it. The option was changed to allow
flexibility so you could specify drivers other than vesa, such as intel.

There may be documentation on this feature. I read it on the development
list and used it for several installations where the video card was not
detected properly.

Jim

--
Beer & Pretzels -- Breakfast of Champions.