bcm4318 - Can It Work with Newer Kernels?

Rick Bilonick rab at nauticom.net
Wed Nov 21 15:43:27 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 02:31 -0500, Kelly Miller wrote:
> TOONT wrote:
> > Maybe this link will be useful for you:
> > http://fedoramobile.org/fc-wireless/bcm43xx-yum-extras/
> > I have bcm4312 and it works perfect with bc43 on F8 ( 2.6.23.1-49.fc8)
> > without ndiswrapper.
> Yes, but a)  He's running F6, not F8 and b)  He was asking for a way of
> running ndiswrapper, so I simply mentioned what had to be done to get
> ndiswrapper working.  I remember at that time, I used ndiswrapper over
> bcm43xx as well, because the latter was somewhat unreliable.  It's
> different now, though.

I'm afraid to go to F8 until I can get the card working with the newer
kernel(s). Which is the way to go with F6? b43, b43legacy, bcm4318? Are
these using ndiswrapper or are they native drivers? I'm very confused! I
thought I had made progress getting the radio on and no errors about
version 3 firmware being too old but at the last step when
networkmanager tries to connect, the entire system (always and
consistently) totally locks up requiring a hard boot. Should I be
blacklisting b43 or b43legacy or bcm4318. (I'm only blacklisting bcm4318
at the moment.)

Rick