How to Migrate to a new PC

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Nov 21 23:00:38 UTC 2007

Gerry Doris wrote:
> I have a working FC6 system that is running on an old tired PC.  The FC6
> install has several non Fedora applications running on it and the
> standard applications have the normal modifications.  I now want to move
> to a new faster PC.
> I loaded FC8 on the new PC and it worked without a problem so I know the
> new PC works with FC8.  I've configured the new PC hard drive with the
> same partitions as my FC6 PC.  However, the drives are much bigger on
> the new PC and are named differently.  For example, the old box has an
> hda and hdd but no hdb or hdc for some reason?
> I really don't want to do a fresh install, load and then configure the
> applications from scratch.  Ideally, I'd like to copy the FC6 system to
> the new PC and then upgrade it to FC8.  I know it won't be clean but
> I've upgraded in the past and understand the process.  I'd also rather
> do the upgrade to FC8 on the new PC for a number of reasons.
>
> What is the best way to do this?  Can I copy over the contents of the
> partitions and then try and modify the key files so it will boot?  I'd
> have to change grub.conf and fstab but what else would need to be
> modified.  If I can get the system to boot I'm confident I can make the
> other necessary changes .

I had a system on which I installed FC3, and subsequently built
everything from nahant source and replace all the packages (well, all
that I managed to build).

I also installed a few extras, such as pine.

When time came to replace it, I installed Scientific Linux on a clean
system, then used the package list from the old box to generate "yum
install" commands for everything. Something like this:
   rpm -qa --qf 'yum install %{name}\n'
and then transport the list.

I repeated running the list until clean;-)

I then copied /home and any other valuables I could think of, and kept
the old system on hand just in case.

--

Cheers
John