autofs for idiots

Joseph Loo jloo at acm.org
Thu Nov 22 04:20:49 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 19:36 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 02:18 +0000, Amadeus W.M. wrote:
> > On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:04:09 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> >
> > > Trying to get my head around plain autofs before I attempt ldap
> > >
> > > I can nfs mount via /etc/fstab...
> > > #srv1:/home/storage/users  /home/storage/users  nfs  user,suid,dev,exec
> > > 0  0
> > >
> > > It's commented out and not presently mounted
> > >
> > > why doesn't this work? (comments removed)
> > >
> > > # cat auto.master
> > > /net    /etc/auto.net
> > > /home/storage/users     /etc/auto.misc
> > >
> > > # cat auto.misc
> > > cd              -fstype=iso9660,ro,nosuid,nodev :/dev/cdrom
> > > /home/storage/users -fstype=nfs srv1:/home/storage/users
> > >
> > > # service autofs restart
> > > Stopping automount:                                        [  OK  ]
> > > Starting automount:                                        [  OK  ]
> > >
> > > # ls -l /home/storage/users
> > > total 0
> > >
> > > it should show all user files
> > >
> > > Why doesn't this work?  I've been through every man page, etc.
> > >
> > > Craig
> >

> > You do know autofs has been set up by default so that it works out of the
> > box. Just keep the original /etc/auto* files, make sure that autofs is
> > running and do
> >
> > cd /net/server/foobar
> >
> > and you're there. All nfs partitions that a client can see are under
> > /net/<server>/. In the above example, the server exports /foobar.
> ----
> I didn't know that thanks - in reality, that couldn't work for me
> without a lot of changes since the users $HOME directory is set by LDAP
> and it would have to necessarily have to be in the /home tree (or I'm
> doing a whole bunch of changes).
>
> The exercise wasn't really to use autofs as indicated but to use autofs
> via ldap and I just wanted an intermediate step to learn how it works.
>
> Thanks
>
> Now, if someone really wants to help, I've been pursuing the LDAP angle
> on tikanga-list since the LDAP server is RHEL (clients are primarily
> Fedora 7, still trying to work out regression issues in Fedora 8)...
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/rhelv5-list/2007-November/msg00171.html
>
> which suggests that there is an ou called automountMapName but I cannot
> locate it in the autofs.schema (or any schema), can't create the dn as
> the documentation suggests in
>
> https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/en-US/RHEL510/Deployment_Guide/s2-nfs-config-autofs-LDAP.html
>
> # grep -r automountMap /etc/openldap/schema/*
> /etc/openldap/schema/redhat/autofs.schema:objectclass
> ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.2312.4.2.2 NAME 'automountMap' SUP top STRUCTURAL
>
> # grep -ir automountMapName /etc/openldap/schema/*
> #
>
> I can see in
> /usr/share/doc/autofs-5.0.1/ldap-automount-rfc2307-bis-auto.master
> that the entry is there but I can't find any schema support for creating
> entries with a dn that begins

> [...]
Generally when you use the automounts, you can have the automounter,
mount the individual directories for each user. That way you can have
different user use the exported drives from different machines. This
allows a user to login in machine a or b and have his home directory in
machine b..
--
Joseph Loo
jloo at acm.org