fedora-list Digest, Vol 45, Issue 259

Antti J. Huhtala ahuhtal4 at welho.com
Thu Nov 22 21:55:34 UTC 2007

to, 2007-11-22 kello 10:07:04 -0700, Craig White kirjoitti:

> On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 22:19 +0530, Rogue wrote:
> >
> > Karl Larsen wrote:
> > >    I had no problem finding the PAGE with the things to d/l. The problem
> > > is getting the dam stuff to WORK!! I followed the Install guidance which
> > > is hard to read, but I made the directory /usr/java/ which does not
> > > exist on F7, and I did the bash file from that directory which put
> > > another directory above /usr/java/jre1... which seems to have all the
> > > java stuff.
> >
> > >    But Firefox can't find this even though it says it will check
> > > /usr/java/. Should I move everything from that jre1... directory to
> > > /usr/java/?
> >
> > You need to symlink the libjavaplugin.so file to your mozilla plugins
> > directory.
> >
> > I suspect that you already have a file
> > /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin.so pointing to the icedtea
> > version of the plugin, via the /etc/alternatives/libjavaplugin.so
> >
> > If you wish to consume the Sun's plugin, then you need to remove this
> > file and create a symlink to the Sun's plugin
> >
> > ln -s /usr/java/jre1.*/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so .
> >
> > Now restart firefox and you should see the new plugin take effect.
> >
> > On the other hand, I would really appreciate it if someone can tell me
> > how to use the alternatives to pick up the Sun's environment.
> ----
> this link suggests that the blackdown version of java works properly on
> 86_64 systems...
>
> http://fedora64.org/desktop-64-posts/java-x86_64/
>
> YMMV
>
> Craig

I'd advise against trying the blackdown java - at least for F7 and
Firefox 2.0.0.9. I just went through the installation process and as a
result my 64-bit Firefox crashed when loading my ISP's home page.
The 32-bit Firefox still worked - and so did the 64-bit Firefox after I
unlink'ed the 64-bit java plugin. It may have worked in FC5 and FF1.5...
I've never succeeded in making 64-bit java work in FC4-F7. Things may be
different now with F8 and IcedTea - but that has to wait my F8
installation which is not going to happen anytime soon.

Regards

Antti