Frequency scaling not working

Ryan Campbell campbellr at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 22:14:06 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Ryan Campbell wrote:
>
>> As an update, I came across the program cpufreq-info and it gives me
>> this output:
>>
>> "# cpufreq-info
>> cpufrequtils 002: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004-2006
>> Report errors and bugs to linux at brodo.de, please.
>> analyzing CPU 0:
>>  driver: acpi-cpufreq
>>  CPUs which need to switch frequency at the same time: 0 1
>>  hardware limits: 800 MHz - 2.00 GHz
>>  available frequency steps: 2.00 GHz, 2.00 GHz, 1.60 GHz, 1.20 GHz, 800 MHz
>>  available cpufreq governors: ondemand, userspace, performance
>> * current policy: frequency should be within 800 MHz and 800 MHz.*
>>                  The governor "ondemand" may decide which speed to use
>>                  within this range.
>>  current CPU frequency is 800 MHz (asserted by call to hardware)."
>>
>> This is repeated for CPU1.
>> It looks like the problem is the line,  "current policy: frequency
>> should be within 800 MHz and 800 MHz.". That doesn't make any sense.
>>
>> Is there any way to manually change the 'current policy'?
>>

> My memory is not working today - did you check the settings in
> /etc/sysconfig/cpuspeed? The other thing to keep in mind is that
> there is more then one way of controlling the CPU speed. Some CPUs
> support 1 of the 2, some both. (And some don't support it at all.)
>
> Mikkel

I did check it too see if there was anything obviously wrong, but I
couldn't see anything. After I read your message I decided to try
setting the MAX_SPEED from blank to 2000000 and the MIN_SPEED from blank
to 800000, in case cpuspeed was not picking up the right values
automatically. No luck.

It seems like there a lot of people with Core2Duos (and probably santa
rosa  based ones) that work perfectly fine, so is it possible that my
Fujitsu T4220 simply has a non-standard ACPI (or something) implementation?
I've actually come across a few people on various forums that have the
same laptop and the same problem as me. If that's the case, do I just
submit a bug report?

Thanks again,

Ryan