digital camera +gphoto2

Amadeus W.M. amadeus84 at verizon.net
Fri Nov 23 04:03:05 UTC 2007

I have a Canon PowerShot A60 digital camera which in previous releases
used to work with FC without having to do any configuration.

Specifically, I would connect the camera to the usb port, turn it on, and
gthumb-import would pop up and download the images.

In F8 (and late FC7) gthumb-import would still pop-up, but  I would get
an error like this:

"An error occurred in the io-library ('Could not claim the USB device')"
etc.

After a google search I figured I had to generate a file

/etc/udev/rules.d/90-libgphoto2.rules

like so:

cd /usr/lib/libgphoto2/

./print-camera-list udev-rules version 0.98 mode 644 owner root group
users > /etc/udev/rules.d/90-libgphoto2.rules

That is, I'm using udev with the camera. Running ./print-camera-list with
no arguments shows I could have produced a fdi file for hal, and perhaps
use that.

What is the preferred method, udev or hal? Does it matter? And why is it
not enabled by default? I'm surprised I haven't seen other people mention
this.