F8 is an excellent release!

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Nov 23 15:23:49 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-23 at 14:40 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Mike C wrote:
>
> > I have now installed F8 on six different machines and all are running very
> > well indeed and are better by far than F7 was.
>
> I don't want to sound mean, but in my view F8 was actually unnecessary,
> since there were few if any system-wide changes introduced
> which required more than yum updates.
> I'm grateful to the Fedora developers for keeping at it,
> but it seems to me that they have given themselves an unnecessary burden
> by imposing a strict time limit for new distributions.
----
unless of course you were affected by things such as the inability to
print to paper sizes other than A4 from Evolution and likely other
little niggling details that couldn't be fixed without library updates
which would introduce regression in otherwise working software.

The point of Fedora Legacy was to try to continue support for well
running Fedora releases but it never got enough community support.
----

> > 1) Wireless support is fantastic compared to F7 with the new in-kernel
> > drivers for iwl3945 (and 4965), as well as the old ipw2200, and removing
> > the need to compile and install proprietary drivers. Work is still being
> > undertaken on ath5k and rt2x00 but the latter is now working well for me
> > with a usb adapter that uses rt73usb.
>
> I don't have any of these devices, but I would have thought
> any advances were in the Linux kernel rather than the Fedora distribution?
----
that's not the case though because these things required some changes in
supporting software so again, there is always the possibility of
regression which breaks things that previously ran well.

Craig