3-D graphing software?

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Fri Nov 23 18:38:44 UTC 2007

Hi,

> If you're going back to a 'programming languages' solution, you could also
> take a look at root (http://root.cern.ch), which has been providing event
> handling, statistics and graphing for the High Energy Physics community (it
> can actually do a lot more than that). It works as a C++ interactive
> interpreter but you can also compile your code with your favorite (well...)
> compiler. It is also multiplatform (Windows, Linux, Mac). It has a bit of a
> learning curve, but once you're done you got even better at C++, not some
> proprietary language.

Not everyone in the HEP community considers ROOT to be a blessing. I
know, as I am one of them.

Root have many criticisms, see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROOT

for some (not all) details. My personal least favourite features are the
tendency to reinvent everything and the general lack of compatibility
with STL.

Also, CINT (the C++ interpreter) is not all it is cracked up to be. My
personal opinion is C++ is not a good language to try and write an
interpreter for. CINT has tried and as a consequence allows non-valid
C++ code through. This means CINT is a bad forum to learn C++, as you
aren't aware of what it is doing right and wrong.

just a few words of warning.

Chris