sha1sum problems :-(

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Nov 23 20:13:33 UTC 2007

Andre Robatino wrote:
> Marko Vojinovic wrote:
>> Ok, I downloaded the brand-new Fedora 8 iso file:
>>
>> [vmarko at sith ~]$ sha1sum Fedora-8-i386-DVD.iso
>> 782a0e80de1b8e9f24e10e40055cc1b545390cbd  Fedora-8-i386-DVD.iso
>>
>> After burning it to two dvd's on two different machines (one Windows, the
>> other Linux) using different software (Nero and K3B), I get:
>>
>> [vmarko at sith ~]$ sha1sum /dev/dvd
>> 04e39c4be1cf577b98a8b94ff61bdb60252ec6cb  /dev/dvd
>>

>  "sha1sum /dev/dvd" is not a reliable way to read a disc, though it may
> work on some hardware.  Try using the rawread script at
>
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/coasterless.htm
>
> instead.  This uses the isoinfo command to determine how big the ISO
> file is, then runs a dd command that attempts to read exactly that much
> off the drive.  If this still fails, then please report back.  I'm
> currently seeing a return of the old mediacheck problem (linux readahead
> bug).

I had the idea that this problem had been fixed[1], as I suspect you do
also. I haven't seen it recently, but having gotten into the habit of
using dd to check only what I expect to write, I wouldn't have seen it
in every case. The old solution was to turn off readahead, I tried that
recently, but there really *was* a problem in my case.

I no longer expect an error at end of data, and I don't use the noerror
option to dd because of that.

[1] on a last read shorter than the readahead, I think you get all of
the data actually read and no error. Certainly the data doesn't appear
to be truncated on error any more AFAIK. However, depending on how the
data was padded, you may get some data which really *is* on the DVD and
is *not* part of the ISO image.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>