uucp

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sat Nov 24 15:13:16 UTC 2007

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>

>>     On both F7 and F8 I need to make user karl belong to the uucp group.
>> I tried to use the gui thing and it will not show me uucp. If I try to
>> make a uucp it says it already exists :-)
>>

> Not really relevant to your query,
> but are you sure you need karl in the uucp group?
> I use uucp (I thought I was the only person left in the world using it)
> and I am not in the uucp group, which only contains the user uucp.
> Admittedly I use "port type tcp" but I wouldn't have thought
> that was relevant.

    Look at the owner and group for /dev/ttyS0 and you will see why
group uucp membership is important. Of course we should not be using a
Com 1 port anymore :-)

To my horror I took my computer apart (easy) and discovered the serial
port plug was wired to the motherboard direct by the maker. And it is
not working. So what to do? Now I will goto the web page and see how
long the warrenty is for...

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User