[Fedora-xen] Re: unionfs question

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Nov 25 06:33:57 UTC 2007

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

Richard, crossposting like that's thoughtless. I only got the one to
-xen-[1], where Christoph is unreachable. Since Christoph isn't on the
list, he wouldn't see my response.

> Christoph Höger wrote:
>> I have a more general question about unionfs:
>> I want to build a xen machine with a save base-image and a temporary
>> write image that can be saved or thrown away on demand. So I thought
>> about using unionfs to mount both these images as /.
>> The problem is: unionfs does not mount images but directories that are
>> already mounted. So I would need to mount those two images somewhere
>> else. Obviuosly this would happen somewhere above / (e.g. /workimage
>> and /rootimage). Could unionfs handle this?
>> Or is there even a better way?
>
> LVM + snapshots.
>
> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/snapshotintro.html
>
> BTW, there is a fedora-xen list for discussion of Xen issues.

There is, but this doesn't seem to me to be a xen question; take xen out
of it, and the question still stands.

That said, there is z xen solution documented in
/usr/share/doc/xen-3.0.3/pdf/user.pdf " 6.3 Using LVM-backed VBDs" in my
Sl5 system. Read the information for the version of xen you're running.

[1] It's the way Mailman operates, unless configured differently.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait