"apt" to eventaully replace "rpm"?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Nov 25 19:54:59 UTC 2007

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   a book i'm reading contains the sentence:
>
> "It remains to be seen whether Apt will become the preferred tool for
> package management for RPM users."
>
>   i was unaware that that was even a possibility.  is it?
>
> rday

I would not think so. the Debian package that is equivalent to rpm is
dpkg. Like rpm it can install stuff, whinge about missing deps and so on.

The apt suite wraps it, as the yum suite wraps rpm.
apt-get fixes the deps that dpkg complains about, downloads stuff,
installs it, downloads source and wraps the build process.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait