"apt" to eventaully replace "rpm"?

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sun Nov 25 23:49:15 UTC 2007

On Sunday 25 November 2007 23:02, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-11-25 at 15:53 +0000, Chris Jones wrote:
> > > I've used both.  I LOVED apt.  It was FAST.  I mean real fast.  I
> > > actually preferred it to yum.  It had a sweet GUI interface, and
> > > searches were quick.  I could use it for for bringing-in packages as
> > > stated, but it worked well as a local package manager too.  It was an
> > > all-in-one solution.
> >
> > I'm with you there. APT is much faster than yum. The gui you are
> > thinking of is probably synaptic, and I agree its probably the best
> > package manager GUI I've used.
>
> Now I think we are confusing apt with apt-get. Synaptic is the apt-get
> gui in Ubuntu, It is all confusing, to me at least.

I use apt on Debian, and Kubuntu, and have used apt on Fedora since FC1. Going
back into the mists of time, and FC1, which incidentally I still have
installed on both of my machines, and still works well, though no longer
supported. That aside, I was stuck with Redhats up2date on FC1. Being on
dialup, and up2date not having any resume support, you can imagine what it
was like trying to get updates. I found apt when looking for music apps, and
found planetccrma. Apt was presented as a package manager, and I havn't
looked back. Saying that though, the earlier versions of apt ran a lot faster
than those that are using repometadata now. I'm comparing .
apt-0.5.15cnc6-1.1.fc2.fr
with
apt-0.5.15lorg3.2.12.fc7

Anyway, back to apt, and apt-get. Apt is the package you install to use the
Apt package manager. Apt-get is how you use it on the CLI.

apt-get update will update the package lists to the latest available.
apt-get upgrade, or apt-get dist-upgrade will download and install the latest
packages.

See man:apt-get in your browser for the differences between apt-get upgrade,
and apt-get dist-upgrade.

Synaptic is a GUI for apt-get, much as Yumex is a GUI for Yum. personally I
prefer Synaptic as it lists all the installed packages, along with the
available ones, whereas Yumex has them on 2 separate lists. Everyone to there
own I suppose, but I just prefer Apt, and Synaptic.

2¢ worth of weekend ramblings.

Nigel.