PROJECT BLACKHAT

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Mon Nov 26 17:04:25 UTC 2007

On Monday 26 November 2007, Les Mikesell wrote:
> But, I think at this point in time, emulating 32-bit windows is not
> worth the effort.  By the time it is completed, it will be about as
> useful as DOS emulation is now as everything goes 64-bit.

Having a WinXP x64 system here, I can assure you that it may be quite some
time before everybody transitions to Win x64.

The major problem is that you cannot use Win16 programs on WinXP x64 (we can
be thankful that Linux doesn't have this issue, being 32 bit from the
beginning).  You would be shocked to find out how many _32-bit_ Windows
programs use a Win16 INSTALLER, and thus will not INSTALL on WinXP x64, even
though they would RUN there.  WinXP x64 not having NTVDM or WoW32 is the
source, although it appears that the claim is that x64 processors in long
mode won't run 16-bit code at all.

All in all I find the driver support for Linux of any version is better than
the x64 driver support, XP or Vista, right now.  Many many common hardware
items that are a little older will simply not work on x64, and some of these
have manufacturers that are at least publicly saying that they have no plans
to support x64 systems on existing hardware.  Some have 32 bit drivers that
will at least take a modification to the .INF that will allow the driver to
install, and sometimes even work; many hardware items simply won't work at
all due to hardcoded assumptions about libraries and such (it's the same
issue as multilib on linux).
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer