Installing DVD iso

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Nov 26 19:05:25 UTC 2007

Duncan Berriman wrote:
> I installed FC8 using http as I did not have a dvd on the system.
>
> Here is how I did it (may be other ways as this was my first attempt).
>
> Download the full dvd iso.
>
> Then either burn it to a dvd and configure your web server/ftp server to
> allow access to the dvd or copy the files off the dvd to your web server/dvd
> server. Alternatively extract the files directly from the iso to a directory
> on to your web server/ftp server.

There is not need to copy the files. You can loop mount the .iso
image. For example, I created a directory /var/www/html/Fedora and
used "mount -o loop Fedora-8-i386-DVD.iso /var/www/html/Fedora" to
mount it. This gave access to the entire tree via html.

> Download the Fedora Core 8 Rescue Disk iso image from
> (/pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/Fedora/i386/iso) and burn this on to a CD.

After you loop mount the DVD .iso image, you can grab one of the
images in the images directory. There is a boot.iso and a
bootdisk.img. I like to use the bootdisk.img on a USB memory drive.
I have done a couple of installs this way. If you have a fast
network local, it is faster then a DVD install. Getting the
information from the hard drive of your server tends to be faster
then reading a DVD. This is probably not the case when reading a DVD
mounted on the server.

Mikkel