a paper I can't find...

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Tue Nov 27 04:35:39 UTC 2007

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 14:51:30 +1030
Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> And I'm sure that all the
> mainframe guys must laugh their asses off at businesses which have to go
> around updating hundreds or thousands of stand-alone terminals, compared
> to updating one server and doing nothing to all the dumb terminals.

You don't need a mainframe for that.  Take a look at http://www.ltsp.org

It's slick as all hell.  I have a Capio 616 terminal of my own in my theatre
lobby that runs off of this F8 computer, and I built, support and maintain a
system with six  or seven  Capio 600-series terminals that run off of a Centos 5
system.  The chap who owns that setup is about to purchase another half-dozen
or so of those terminals, in fact.