FC8 Atheros wireless almost working...

fooboo no-reply-gw at fcp.surfsite.org
Tue Nov 27 09:33:35 UTC 2007

For the past couple of days I have been trying to get my new install of Fedora 8 to use the wireless card I have which uses the Atheros AR5006X chipset.

It has always been able to see the card and give me info about it when I use lspci and iwconfig but when I tried to activate it in the "Network Configuration" "Devices" tab it would try and fail to activate.

I downloaded the latest driver from Atheros, made and installed it. Using DHCP it still wouldn't activate but when I entered an IP and gateway details manually the device activated no problem.

If I open the system monitor and look at the resources tab, there at the bottom is the "Network History" which shows bytes being sent and received constantly.

Everything _looks_ like it's working but it just wont connect to the router.

I definitely have the right key, I have the right channel selected.

I have captured a load of info but I'll not post it all straight away as there is tonnes of it. I'll just attach the iwconfig for now.

If anyone has any idea what I can try I would be grateful.
lo        no wireless extensions.

wifi0     no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11a  ESSID:""  Nickname:"localhost.localdomain"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:5.2 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated
          Bit Rate:0 kb/s   Tx-Power:17 dBm   Sensitivity=1/1
          Retry:off   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=0/70  Signal level=-96 dBm  Noise level=-96 dBm

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=222532&topic_id=48439&forum=10#forumpost222532
If you think, this is spam, please report this to webmaster at fcp.surfsite.org and/or blame fooboo at freeuk.com.