yum and firewall problems.

john brennan-sardou johnbs at tele2.fr
Tue Nov 27 21:11:03 UTC 2007

Hello everybody,
I am running f8 and it works like a charm, well nearly!
_Problem number one._
 Every now and then when I try to update software through yum I get the
following information. It does not work all of the time and is downright
annoying.

Existing lock /var/run/yum.pid: another copy is running as pid 2723.
Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit...

At the same time the  front end of f8  "the packet manager" used for
software is blocked also. I can not understand why it does this. Could
it be the automatic update the style "you have 10 new updates"?
Has anybody got a pkill quick and dirty command to get rid of this
without too many problems.

_Problem number two
_I can not change my firewall rules through the front end
"system-config-firewall.py" A box comes up with the changes which I have
asked for and at the end it says "failed to restart iptables" What is
more on downing the machine the iptables modules are not removed, they
"fail".
I would be delighted to get these problems out of the way. Thanks a lot.
John Brennan-Sardou.