Fedora 8 runlevel 3

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Tue Nov 27 21:43:31 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 15:16 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 01:43 +0530, Vivek J. Patankar wrote:
> > Bill Geng wrote:
> > > I just installed Fedora 8 on my desktop computer. My computer gets an
> > > IP address from my router which runs a DHCP server. It works at
> > > runlevel 5. I can access the Internet. After I changed the default
> > > runlevel from 5 to 3, my network interface cannot be bring up
> > > automatically. I have to run "ifup eth0" manually to get an IP
> > > address. Anyone can help me out.
> >
> > I've had this problem too for one of my servers that runs nessus on
> > Fedora8. I solved it by stopping the NetworkManager service and starting
> > the "network" service.
> >
> > # chkconfig NetworkManager off
> > # chkconfig network on
> > # service NetworkManager stop
> > # service network start
> >
> Or to be more specific NetworkManager does not work at run level 3.

The best solution is:

	# chkconfig --level 5 NetworkManager on
	# chkconfig --level 5 network off
	# chkconfig --level 23 network on
	# chkconfig --level 23 NetworkManager off

That way NetworkManager runs at level 5 (GUI) and network won't, and
network runs at levels 2 and 3 and NetworkManager won't.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-    If Windows isn't a virus, then it sure as hell is a carrier!    -