FC8 dvd upgrade problem

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Nov 27 22:17:07 UTC 2007

david walcroft wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> I am not sure what the fix is, because you do not say how you are
>> trying to do the upgrade. You may be okay if you delete the floppy
>> and dvd lines from /etc/fstab and try again. Or you may have to fix
>> the dvd line to use something like /mnt/dvd instead of /dev/scd, and
>> create a /mnt/dvd directory to use as a mount point.
>>
> I use a dvd to upgrade in graphic mode.
> Would an upgrade rewrite my fstab if I delete the floppy & dvd entries.

With F8, you should not need either the floppy or the DVD line. HAL
takes care of mounting removable media for most people. If you have
a need to manually mount them, we can help you create proper
entries. If you were upgrading by having the DVD .iso image on the
hard drive, then you might need an entry in /etc/fstab...

Mikkel