Fedora 8 runlevel 3

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Tue Nov 27 23:49:47 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 08:08 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:

> >> Or to be more specific NetworkManager does not work at run level 3.
> >
> > The best solution is:
> >
> > 	# chkconfig --level 5 NetworkManager on
> > 	# chkconfig --level 5 network off
> > 	# chkconfig --level 23 network on
> > 	# chkconfig --level 23 NetworkManager off
> >
> > That way NetworkManager runs at level 5 (GUI) and network won't, and
> > network runs at levels 2 and 3 and NetworkManager won't.
>
> I'm not sure that's best; I generally boot to rl3 then maybe change to
> 5. I don't know the consequences of that setup for me.

Should be none.  If you use "telinit 5" or "init 5" to change your run
levels, network should turn off and NM turn on at level 5.

>  NetworkManager
> might be better for mobile users, but if you're affixed to a desk, what
> works at rl3 should work equally well at rl5.

I agree.  Actually, I detest NM.  It's quite inconsistent and doesn't
like being told to use fixed IPs or routes or DNS servers or anything
like that.  If you use DHCP, NM is probably fine.

If you used a fixed network config (or just a few), then I use network
and multiple network profiles that can be launched from grub.  I have
grub entries that specify "netprofile=Office" and "netprofile=Home".
Works fine.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-     Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.     -