legacy X11 fonts?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Wed Nov 28 01:25:58 UTC 2007

I'm trying to figure why the fonts look different on F8
than they did in F7 in a silly little lesstif app I have,
and I noticed the whole font thing is completely different
in the F8 X server. Looking in the X log leads me to
the /etc/X11/fontpath.d directory, and looking at that
directory, I see these symlinks:

xorg-x11-fonts-100dpi:unscaled:pri=30 -> /usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled

xorg-x11-fonts-misc:unscaled:pri=10 -> /usr/share/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled

Those two directories don't exist (though they do exist without the
":unscaled" suffix).

Is this a bug with the font installation? Or is this the way things
are supposed to be, and the X server is doing weird readlink() processing
to make something out of the broken links?

(I suppose I should just try changing the symlinks and see what happens,
but I was curious if anyone knew exactly what was going on here).