The Fedora disc was not found

Ron Siven rsiven at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 04:06:31 UTC 2007

On Monday 26 November 2007 11:36:54 pm peter.billam at dpiw.tas.gov.au wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm trying to upgrade from Fedora 6 to Fedora 8 on an Acer Veriton
> 5900Pro, with no success at all.
>
> So far I've tried
>   irqpoll noirqdebug ide=nodma cdnodma edd=skipmbr pci=nomsi,nommconf
>   libdata.dma=1 libdata.dma=0 noapic nolapic noacpi scsi_scan=sync
>   hwprobe=modules.pata hwprobe=-modules.pata acpi=off pci=noacpi
>   pnpacpi=off clocksource=acpi_pm nohz=off highres=off
> which I've gleaned from various google searches.
>
> As far as I can see, any noapic makes it hang running /sbin/loader.
>
> As far as I can see, irqpoll noirqdebug are vital, and nolapic is
> lethal, otherwise the install hangs loading ata_piix driver.
>
> With all other combinations I've tried (about 30 so far) I get:
>   The Fedora disc was not found in any of your CDROM drives.
>   Please insert the Fedora disc and press OK to retry.
>
> Debian, and Fedora 6, install fine on the same hardware, using just
>   irqpoll noirqdebug
>
> Are there other kernel options I should be trying ?
> Any other ideas ?
>
> Selected excerpts from lshw:
>      *-firmware
>           vendor: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
>           physical id: 0
>           version: R01-B0 (03/30/2007)
>           size: 128KB
>           capacity: 960KB
>           capabilities: isa pci pnp apm upgrade shadowing cdboot
>            bootselect socketedrom edd int13floppy360 int13floppy1200
>            int13floppy720 int13floppy2880 int5printscreen int9keyboard
>            int14serial int17printer int10video acpi usb ls120boot
>            zipboot biosbootspecification
>      *-pci
>           product: 82Q963/Q965 Memory Controller Hub
>         *-ide:1
>              product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) 4 port SATA IDE Controller
>              capabilities: ide bus_master cap_list emulated
>            *-cdrom UNCLAIMED
>                 product: DVD+-RW GSA-H31N
>                 vendor: HL-DT-ST
>            *-disk
>                 product: WDC WD2500JS-22M
>                 vendor: ATA
>                 logical name: /dev/sda
>         *-ide:2
>              product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) 2 port SATA IDE Controller
>            *-disk
>                 product: ST380013AS
>                 vendor: ATA
>                 logical name: /dev/sdb
>
> Thanks,  Regards,  Peter
>
> AUS/TAS/DPIW/CIT/Servers hbt/lnd/l8   6233 3061   http://www.pjb.com.au
> Pasaré, pasarémos    dice el agua    y canta la verdad contra la piedra
>  -- Pablo Neruda

I had this same problem upgrading from FC6 to F7.  This was on new hardware
(only several weeks old).  While I don't know the cause of the problem, I can
tell you how I got around it.

I copied the DVD iso to another machine and shared the iso over NFS, then
booted to a rescue CD, and used the install from NFS share option.  The
benefit of this (aside from actually being able to upgrade) was that it
actually ran faster over 1GB ethernet than off the DVD drive.

I realize this doesn't solve your problem, but if you really need to upgrade
soon and you have another linux machine available, this is an option.  I have
also heard tell of FTP and HTTP options, but I haven't tried them.

-- Ron