FC6 to F7 yum update

Graeme Hilton fedora at fishter.org.uk
Wed Nov 28 12:42:51 UTC 2007

Quoting Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>:
> On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 00:54 +0000, Graeme Hilton wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm attempting an upgrade to F7 from FC6.
<snip problem description>
>> What are my options for solving this?
> ----
> I don't know...you probably should be familiar with this page. Perhaps
> the problem is the repositories you have presently configured
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq

Ok, so I've gone back to basics.  I removed yum, moved the yum.repos.d
directory out of the way and reinstalled yum and fedora-release-6-4.
This sets the repositories info back to their initial states.  There
is no further repository definitions in the yum.conf file.

I performed a yum clean all and yum update with the repositories in
their clean state.  All worked well.

Going back to try the upgrade; I installed (had to force) the
fedora-release-7-3 and fedora-release-notes packages.  I had to
manually edit the fedora-core.repo file to disable the old base and
updates repositories.

yum update rpm\* yum\* does not get me anywhere new.  I still have the
dependency problem with python.  The new yum wants python 2.5, at
least 3 packages require python(abi)=2.4 and have no upgrade that will
take them to python 2.5 (as far as I can tell).

I can post the contents of my yum.repos.d directory if that would help.

--
Graeme Hilton