unsubscribe

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Nov 28 14:10:12 UTC 2007

Tim:
>> Good grief, it's bloody obvious if you apply a tiny amount of thought to
>> it.  How stupid does one have to be to not realise that someone who
>> doesn't identify themselves does not want to be identified?

John Summerfield:
> Calm down Tim; if you didn't want to be identified, you've made several
> mistakes, the most recent biting when I suggested the localhost name.
> All _I_ knew for certain was where your email entered the Internet.

I'm only mildly annoyed.  I'm more surprised, than anything else, that
you'd do something so daft.

I make a trivial effort to remain relatively anonymous, and avoid the
usual spam harvesters.  It doesn't stop those who know what they're
doing from working things out, but I'd expect that such people would
know better than to do what you did.

>> I do use my real name, just not all of it.  E-mail addresses, the user
>> account name part (left of the @ sign), are not names.  Or should we
>> call you "Debian"?

> Please yourself, spammers did. I actually created that address to use in
> connexion with the taroon beta, to protect my more usual email addresses
> from spammers.

On other mailing lists, where I had decided to let people contact me, I
had an e-mail address beginning with "sir".  At least it forced a bit of
manners on to address harvesting spammers, such junk mail came addressed
to me as "dear sir".  ;-)  'twas nothing more than a private joke,
though.

>> Consider yourself privileged, Debby, ;-) that I let strangers refer to
>> me by my first name, rather than sir, or mister in front of my surname.

> From my viewpoint, how would you describe your attitude now?

It's called paying someone out for doing two things as daft as you did.
Not respecting anonymity, then going on to talk to me about using
pseudonyms when I was already using my real name, and not using any
pseudonyms.  If you'd looked a bit harder, you'd have noticed those
points.

If I was going to flame you, I'd be far more scathing.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.