ZFS in Fedora?

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Thu Nov 29 00:35:55 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 16:17 -0800, Dave Stevens wrote:
> In an article in Information Week on November 5, 2007 I read, "What Sun's
> OpenSolaris Means For Open Source
>
> Sun Microsystems has turned its Solaris operating system, which uses the
> next-generation ZFS file system, into an open-source project; free downloads
> are now available. " This is at:
>  http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=202802683
>
> Does this mean that ZFS can be implemented in Fedora? Is anyone aware of a
> port?

Unless they changed some stuff, parts of ZFS aren't GPLv2-compliant (it
was developed under Sun's CDDL), so you really put it in the kernel
without some legal issues.  You can use it safely under FUSE, but it'll
be slower than as a kernel module.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-          Consciousness: that annoying time between naps.           -