vncts, opened firewall but connections keep getting reset

Ferindo Middleton ferindo.middleton at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 01:47:39 UTC 2007

I only vnc from computers within my network/behind my firewall. I never do
it over the internet - I just do regular  command ssh sessions for that.
This is a home network and I trust everybody here... they wouldn't try any
malicious. If they do, I would just kick them out my house. I'm having a
difficult enough time getting this work without ssh and I'm thinking
encryption would slow things down from what is already a bogged down home
network or streaming music and video and constant large-file downloads... I
don't think the ssh is neccesary if the communications are all local to my
network.

I'm still having problems figuring out this vncts setup though? What's the
path to the relevant log files? Is there a test I can perform to find out if
the ports on the firewall are open ok for this? My /etc/sysconfig/iptables
file includes this line to open those ports:
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 5900:5905
-j ACCEPT

Is this proper? The /etc/xinetd.d/vncts file says to add localhost to the
/etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess There was no Xaccess file in the /etc/X11/xdm/ folder
so I created an Xaccess file and simply added the word localhost to it...
but I suppose it's not that simple.

Ferindo

On Nov 27, 2007 10:38 PM, Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 22:04:00 -0500
> Ferindo Middleton <ferindo.middleton at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to open my FC8 server to allow VNC connections. I've opened
> ports
> > 5900 - 5906 on firewall
>
> This isn't a direct answer to your question, but you would be better off
> tunnel your vnc connection over ssh.  It's no more difficult to set up
> than
> "regular" vnc and it's a lot more secure.
>
> --

Ferindo