xev is indeed nifty, need assist on 2 wheel mouse

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 00:44:53 UTC 2007

Discovered xev on another list, but it is installed on FC7. xev will
open a little window for you to play with all of your mouse buttons and
scroll wheel in. Just use a terminal window to launch it on the command
line with "xev". It's really simplistic and sweet, pushing your mouse
buttons will tell you what xorg button number is seen with the button
press.

I just hooked in an USB GE two scroll wheel optical mouse. One scroll
wheel is slightly behind the the normal clickable one that is seen. Plus
there are two other buttons on the left side. xev sees:
Left main button	: 1
Scroll wheel button 	: 2
Right main button	: 3
Scroll wheel forward	: 4
Scroll wheel back	: 5
2nd Scroll wheel forward: 6
2nd Scroll wheel back	: 7
First Side button	: 8
Second Side button	: 9

Using the original xorg.conf, when I unplugged the PS2 mouse and plugged
in the USB mouse, the second scroll wheel was seen as buttones #6 and
#7. Well, I DINKED with xorg.conf and now it's not seen at all. I
restored the original xorg.conf file and it still is not seen now.
<sigh>

I used the mouse-driver man page found at http://www.die.net which
explained the defs used for mice in xorg.conf.

Question 1: option "buttons" should be listed as "buttons" "9" or
"buttons" "1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9" or "buttons" "1 2 3 8 9" when you have 9
expected buttons or 5 actual buttons with 4 5 6 7 assigned to scroll
wheel buttons? It's not plain and several other web pages found by
google show options "buttons" "1 2 3 4 5 " instead of a single number
for a single scroll wheel mouse with three switches and two scroll wheel
switches. God, I hope I'm not confusing everyone. :)

Question 2: what is the difference in the use of ZAxisMapping,
XAxisMapping, YAxisMapping??
I've tried: 	Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7" and

		option "XAxisMapping" "4 5"
		option "YAxisMapping" "6 7"

--- none seem to work. But I know that at first, before I screwed with
everything that buttons 6 and 7 were reported in use by xev. Now they do
not respond. Someone shoot me now or help me from the darkness. I need
the relief either way. :) Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar