createrepo for x86_64 and i386 repositories

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 12:15:05 UTC 2007

On 28/11/2007, Paul Johnson wrote:
> I've used create repo in the past but only when I was hosting files
> for one arch.
>
> Now I have a repository with directories
>
> SRPMS
> i386
> x86_64
>
> Going out of habit, I was thinking I should run createrepo 3 separate
> times, one for the SRPM, one for i386, one for x86_64.
>
> But then I became concerned: when the x86_64 is doing its multilib
> magic, how does it find the i386 packages it installs in parallel to
> x86_64.

It doesn't.  In your case, it would only work if you enabled the i386
repo in the x86_64 machine's Yum configuration.

> That made me think the createrepo should be aimed at the top level
> directory above all three.  But as I browse the mirrors of F8, I don't
> see a "repodata" directory under the top level, making me think they
> did not run createrepo at that level.
>
> So, what to do?

In the Fedora repositories, the "multilib magic" is applied to the
repositories _prior_ to running createrepo. The multilib magic
determines a selection of i386 packages, which is copied into the
x86_64 repository. Hence the x86_64 repodata cover these i386
packages.