Dual-Head with Different Resolution (slightly OT)

Reuben Budiardja techlist at pathfinder.phys.utk.edu
Thu Nov 29 17:23:55 UTC 2007

Hello,
I have an LCD with 1280x1024 native resolution. I plan to buy a new widescreen
LCD with 1680x1050 resolution, to use in dual-head configuration. I have
NVidia GeForce FX 5200, with VGA and DVI output to drive them, by plugging
one LCD to VGA and the other one to DVI port.
Is it possible to use this setup, and have the card drive the monitors with
different resolution ? I'm using NVidia proprietary driver.

I have done something similar with both monitor runs on the same resolution,
using "Twinview" option on the Xorg.conf, but I don't know how to do it with
different resolutions on the monitors. If my current setup doesn't work, will
a better video card (presumably one with dual DVI) help me, or do I have to
have same resolution monitors ? can anyone recommend one ?

I don't do gaming and only use this mostly for programming and CAD drawing and
3D data visualization, so I don't need high-performance graphic card, only
something decent to work with.

Thanks for any help / info.

RDB