F8 Samba

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Thu Nov 29 18:13:20 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 19:08 +0100, Antonio wrote:
> 2007/11/29, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com>:
> > Antonio wrote:
> > > I re-installed F8 and I am running a mixed network with Windws, F8, F8
> > > development.
> > > I forgot to backup the configuration file for samba.
> > >
> > > Now I re-created this file (smb.conf):
> > >
> > <------------------------[snip]------------------------------>
> > >
> > > When I try to connect to the PC from another Fedora machine I get to
> > > the windows showing the testsamba directory, but when I click on it I
> > > get the request for login, I insert antonio as user and password but I
> > > am rejected and a new login window appear.
> > >
> > > Same from a Windows machine. Selinux is on.
> > >
> > > Any hint??? Tnx
> > Dumb question - did you create user accounts in Samba? (Samba uses
> > its own user/password files.)
> >
> > Mikkel
> > --
> >
> >   Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
> > for thou art crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!
> >

> > --
> >

> yes, I think so, as I synchronized unix users with samba user...
> I have decided to start from scratch on my home network - doing homework... ;-)
>
> [global]
> 	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
> 	cups options = raw
> 	server string = Samba Server Version %v
> 	workgroup = workgroup
> 	os level = 20
> 	username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
> 	winbind enable local accounts = no
> 	valid users = antonio
> 	security = share
> 	passdb backend = tdbsam
> 	max log size = 50
>

> #============================ Share Definitions ==============================
>
> [homes]
>        comment = Home Directories
>        browseable = no
>        writable = yes
> ;       valid users = %S
>        valid users = MYDOMAIN\%S
>
> [printers]
>        comment = All Printers
>        path = /var/spool/samba
>        browseable = no
> ;       guest ok = no
> ;       writable = No
>        printable = yes
>
> # Un-comment the following and create the netlogon directory for Domain Logons
> ;       [netlogon]
> ;       comment = Network Logon Service
> ;       path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
> ;       guest ok = yes
> ;       writable = no
> ;       share modes = no
>

> # Un-comment the following to provide a specific roving profile share
> # the default is to use the user's home directory
> ;       [Profiles]
> ;       path = /var/lib/samba/profiles
> ;       browseable = no
> ;       guest ok = yes
>

> # A publicly accessible directory, but read only, except for people in
> # the "staff" group
> ;       [public]
> ;       comment = Public Stuff
> [...]
----
staying on the same samba server, can you log on?

smbclient -L $SERVER_NAME -U $USER_NAME

enter your password

note that you should be able to access this anonymously (without a
user/password)

smbclient -L $SERVER_NAME

first try anonymously, then try with your samba username (which must
match Linux username or be mapped)

Craig